Sunday, June 29, 2014

IQ(WAIS IV) testing flaws

     I recently got the results of an IQ test.  I'm not going to list the results because that is pretty much pointless and I think would come off as narcissistic anyway.  Instead I want to discuss how I feel the testing is flawed in many ways and how the results really raise more questions than answers.

    First of all, what is intelligence?  Apparently psychologists don't know and they debate this.  The test I took was the WAIS IV.  The WAIS I was made in 1955 by a psychologist, so in well under a single century ow intelligence is measure has changed at least four times by just one form of testing!  There are other tests as well.  Plus there is a theory by psychologist Howard Gardner that there are in fact eight different types of intelligence.  So what is intelligence? As far as psychology is concerned, the jury is out.  But the Merriam-Webster dictionary says intelligence is:
[1
a (1) :  the ability to learn or understand or to deal with new or trying situations :  reason; also :  the skilled use of reason (2) :  the ability to apply knowledge to manipulate one's environment or to think abstractly as measured by objective criteria (as tests)
b Christian Science :  the basic eternal quality of divine Mind
c :  mental acuteness :  shrewdness
2
a :  an intelligent entity; especially :  angel
b :  intelligent minds or mind <cosmic intelligence>
3
:  the act of understanding :  comprehension
4
a :  information, news
b :  information concerning an enemy or possible enemy or an area; also :  an agency engaged in obtaining such information
5
:  the ability to perform computer functions ]
 
     So the dictionary basically further confuses an already muddy issue.  I would say it's very difficult to measure intelligence but of all the methods I have seen I like Gardner's theory best.  His eight types of intelligence are: Language, Logic and Math, Visual and Spacial, Music, Bodily Kin esthetic, Intrapersonal, Interpersonal and Naturalist.  having these categories seems a lot more practical than the standard forms or measurement which seem to favor certain traits while failing to measure others entirely.  

    Now I'll talk about the more specific flaws in the testing, some I believe are factual, others are more opinion based(like most of the study of this topic).  Before discussing how what is measured is flawed I want to point out the testing completely fails to measure divergent thinking and creativity.  I feel it also doesn't measure logic or reasoning as well as they could. 
 
      On to what it does measure.  There are four categories. Verbal comprehension, working memory, perceptual reasoning, and processing speed.  The verbal comprehension and perceptual reasoning parts I'm mostly ok with.  What they measure I would consider true forms of intelligence.  I have issue with the processing speed and working memory parts.  For example...
    
      Working memory measures attention, concentration and mental control.  Right off the bat I know that all of these things are essentially handicapped for me.  I have constant severe anxiety and nonstop racing thoughts/flight of ideas.  What this means is my attention, concentration and mental control are automatically impaired, I do not consider that equivalent to having lowered intelligence and feel that with a good anti anxiety medication that these things could be less impaired but so far the doctors continue fail to help me in that department.  Working memory also measure mathematics, something i know I can struggle in but luckily I don't see myself in any career where math is too important however of all the things this category measure I do consider mathematical skill a form of intelligence.

     The processing speed section measures visual perception/analysis, scanning speed, visual motor coordination, motor and mental speed, visual working memory and visual perceptual speed.  These are things that largely seem to have to do with senses or eye hand coordination.  I can hardly consider those relevant to intelligence at all and like the working memory stuff many of those things are impaired in the same ways.   

     The verbal comprehension and spacial reasoning parts measure how well you understand things.  They look at problem solving, comprehension and processing of data, vocabulary and culture. They cover reasoning, ability to deal with society, how observant one is as well as some other things.  The spacial reasoning part also measure some things that I don't necessarily see as intelligence though such as some forms of perception.  

     So all in all, I found the testing to be interesting yet lacking.  Plus some of the things they call intelligence I would consider something else.  I would like to learn more about Gardner's theory and feel it should become the standard as the eight category method of describing intelligence just seems far more practical and accurate.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this great article. Great information thanks a lot for the detailed article. That is very interesting I love reading and I am always searching for informative information like this.
    psychiatric genetic testing

    ReplyDelete